Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Power of a Praying Woman #1

Here are some excerpts from the Book by Stormie Omartian "The Power of a Praying Woman"
God showed me once again how much He cares for me day by day when He brought this book to me through a great friend, Amber Baker, during a women's luncheon the weekend before we moved away. Out of the 30-some women I won the book from Amber, and I now know why.
I started this book just today and have been blown away already at how personally I can relate to every word this woman is saying! It's like the light bulb came on, the map was turned rightside up, and the keys to my questions dropped in my lap! :) Thank God for obediant and faithful daughters.
I couldn't wait to share some of these things with others who may be thinking through, dealing with, lost in, and/or struggling over the same issues I've found myself smack-down in the middle of.

First is a quote by Lisa Bevere in her book, "Kissed the Girls and Made them Cry"
for centuries women have "wrestled and waged war with the sons of Adam in an attempt to get them to bless us and affirm our value. But this stuffle has left us frustrated at best...In the end, it is all a senseless and exhausting process in which both parties lose. It is not the fault of the sons of Adam; they cannot give us the blessing we seek, and we have frightened them by giving them so much power over our souls. We must learn that the blessings we truely need come only from God."

Makes me want to read the book. :) Plus the title is just genius I think!
This made me think of a question I often feel confronts me when reading modern-day christian novels/romances: Is there anything in my life which - if lost or taken away from me - would shake my faith in Jesus Christ and God the Father?
See, I find so many people 'give up' on God and the whole Christian thing after a tragedy, or the loss of a loved one, or the breaking of trust in that one person you thought would always be there for you. If only they had exaimed their hearts before this tradic thing had happened to check and see if their faith was built on Christ or on the idea of Him cast by something or someone else in our lives. If indeed something as the most horrid and terrifying thing we can think of was to happen to us - where would you be in your journey with the Savior? Shaken? Maybe scared, worried, or maybe a little doubtful... but would it leave you without a foundation - or would it make you cling to that solid rock on which we stand like your very life depended on it?
I challenge you to pray King David's prayer and ask the Lord God to search your heart and see - is your faith resting on anything other than His faithful promises, His word, and Him alone? Because if it is, than you are setting yourself up for a fall. There is a reason why He asks us to put Him first and nothing before Him; He is the only thing that doesn't change, lie, fail, or let us down some how. Everything and everyone else will fail us, so don't build your faith's foundation on anything but the author and finisher of our faith itself.

God Bless,
Libby

1 comment:

  1. The quote is a good one. Definitely something I've come to realise in my own life. Wanting affirmation starts with our Fathers and continues with our mates. But you're right; only God can give us the affirmation we really need. He is our one true love. :)

    ReplyDelete